Tuesday, October 18, 2011

~Tasty Tuesday~

Chinese Takeout.  I love it but I don't always love the MSG, chewy chicken, soggy veggies...etc that can come with chinese food.  Insert an easy at home recipe for honey chicken, where if you can make a batter, cut chicken & make rice you can have a tasty meal that you can feel good about feeding your family!

Honey Chicken
1 1/2 Pounds Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 1" chunks
Oil for frying

Batter:
4 Tbs. Cornstarch 
1/4 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Egg
1 Egg White

Sauce:
1 1/2 Tbs. Oil
2 tsp. Minced Ginger
3 Tbs. Minced Garlic
1 tsp Salt
3 Tbs. Honey
1 tsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 Cup Water
1 tsp. Cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp. Water

Sesame Seeds for garnish.  (Optional)

In a large bowl mix batter.  Cover & let it sit for 30 minutes.
After cutting your chicken, toss in the batter to coat.  Heat a deep fryer to 350*.  (I just used a large saute pan & essentially pan fried my chicken.  It didn't get as golden brown but did cook all the way through.)  Fry chicken in batches for 2 minutes or until batter becomes firm.  Drain on paper towels.
To make the sauce: Heat 1 1/2 Tbs oil in a wok.  (Again, I used my same saute pan.)  Add garlic & ginger & stir-fry for 30 seconds.  Add, salt, honey, vinegar, & water.  Mix well.  Combine the water & cornstarch to make a slurry, add to sauce & simmer for 2 minutes.  (The sauce should thicken & become like a really thick honey.)
Coat the chicken in the sauce & garnish with sesame seeds if desired.  Serve immediately with either white or brown rice.
Next time I make this dish I will probably add either red pepper flakes or Sriracha in with the sauce with the garlic & ginger.  I tend to gravitate more towards spicy on the Chinese Restaurant menu but as is it is a great dish & my girls ate it up like crazy!

Enjoy!

Rachel

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! Coming soon to a Paladino house near you. :)

    ReplyDelete