Friday, December 14, 2012

The Gift of Giving

"What shall I render to thee for the gift of gifts, thine own dear Son, begotten, not created, my Redeemer, proxy, surety, substitute, his self-emptying incomprehensible, his infinity of love beyond the heart's grasp.... O God, take me in spirit to the watchful shepherds & enlarge my mind; let me hear good tidings of great joy...to look upon my Redeemer's face...let me with Simeon clasp the new-born child to my heart, embrace him with undying faith, exulting that he is mine & I am his.
In Him thou has given me so much that heaven can give no more."
(Excerpt from The Valley of Vision pages 28-29.)

I love this old puritan's prayer.  I love the word pictures that walks my finite mind from the shepherds, to the manger, to Simeon...but the last sentence is the climax. 
Jesus' birth was the ultimate gift.  
Heaven emptied it all that cold night in Bethlehem.

Take this Christmas season to give.
Take time to teach your children to give.
Give because HE gave so much for us.




No comments:

Post a Comment