Thursday, September 2, 2010

ekklesia

When I was trying to come up with a creative name for this blog Bferg suggested the Greek word for peace which is "eirene."  Living the life of a stay at home mom with two toddlers..."eirene" got considered but then taken off the radar screen pretty quickly.  Peace isn't something that I associate with my life except that I am trying to keep it!  

Ekklesia- The greek word meaning, "the called out ones."  A body of believers who are called together by one who is employed by God in the work of proclaiming salvation.  The church.

Now, I don't pretend to be smart.  (In fact you should see the stack of books on my lap right now...one of the benefits of having pastors and seminary students in your family...we have resources and commentaries in the guest bedroom library!)  But this greek word has me excited today because with salvation we become children of God (John 1:12)  And as children of God we, as fellow Christ-followers, become family.  "For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother."  Matthew 12:50  And, God uses family to advance His Kingdom!

I am continually amazed at how God works and His ability to intertwine all aspects of my life.  My Bible Study for the semester is The Family God Uses and our Small Group at church is going through the Gospel of John.  My God made them all fit together for me this morning.  

This post may be a little "churchy" but this blog is about my life and all aspects of it.  I am so thankful that Christ has allowed me the blessing of salvation and while I am not perfect I am pledging to be obedient.  God laid this all on my lap this morning (pretty much literally!) and as I told Bferg last night my prayer as a believer is to be obedient.


Enjoy your Thursday and I hope you take pleasure in the fact that we are family!
Rachel

2 comments:

  1. I love that I can call you sister, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to me you should have sister sledge we are family playing n background of this blog!

    ReplyDelete